Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup 2010 KIckoff Concert in Africa

Just got back from one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. You can read a review of it from Billboard.com here. And a report from Sky News here. And I found this site with video of Alicia Keys performing here.

The only bad part of the evening was the traffic getting there. Just over 3 hours of grueling stop and go frustration for a 15 mile trip by freeway. Hope it's not like this for every event during the World Cup, but I'm afraid it's going to be. We'll just have to deal with it. I guess. There's a popular saying over here: T-I-A. Meaning "This Is Africa". So you'll ask someone "What's with all the traffic and why isn't this being handled better?" they just shrug and say "T-I-A".

The stadium where the concert was held is in Soweto, the famous Johannesburg township/slum area. It was dark when we were driving by, and it looked pretty bleak, to be honest. Made me think that Americans need to redefine what it is to be poor. Being without the latest color TV or car doesn't make you poor. Living in Soweto does.

But the street scene was fantastic. People were just walking and smiling and blowing their Vuzuvelas (which is African for Little Fucking Plastic Horn). I swear, those horns are everywhere and their starting to lose their charm. They blow on them here everywhere. Can't get away from it.

Most of the rest of the day was spent trying to settle in to our hotel room. We walked around a bit, bought some proper adapters for all of our electronic crap and exchanged some money. That kind of thing. Also have been dealing with the internet service here at the hotel, which can be spotty.

Oh, and here's a crazy thing. You know that song by the Black-Eyed Peas, "I've Got A Feeling?" Well I know it's a big hit and everything, but I hate it. Really tired of hearing it. But the BEP's played it at the concert and the atmosphere was so magical and the space so full of hope and love that I started crying while they played. Everyone was singing along and waving their flags and it just seemed like the whole world was coming together to be happy and enjoy themselves for once. Unity. Peace. All that kind of vibe. And it overwhelmed me. I cried during a song I'm sick of hearing on the radio. It was that kind of night.

Later,

- Drew


25 comments:

  1. have fun in south africa, drew! be waiting for your blog entry saturday night after the england v US game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about the Bono commercial that started running for the World Cup a while back. Until I saw that, I wasn't really that fired up for the tournament at all but it made me well up every time.

    Glad to hear that the Black Eyed Peas are being put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky to be there for the Cup! I'm sure it's going to be an absolutely amazing experience all around! And if anyone wants to watch the kickoff concert, you can stream the entire thing online at espn360.com! Have fun in Africa Drew! GO USA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ain't it the truth that most Americans do not know what it is like to be poor. Sometimes we do need a reality check.

    Looking forward to more updates on what you see, hear and feel. Always like to gain someone else's perspective even if I've never been there...

    Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drew, great post. Glad you enjoyed the concert. what you say about redefining poverty is so true.

    Some of my fellow countrymen don't have running water, electricity, sewage or even a warm place to sleep tonight.

    We are hoping that the tourism and confidence in South Africa increases as a result of the world watching us. That in turn will help our poor...we hope. Enjoy Jozi. G

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watch it through "Univision" and the concert was fantastic. I am starting to save so I can go to Brazil on the next World Cup. But the USA does get the World Cup for 2018 then it will be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preach on, Drew! Maybe they could arrange to have a big vuvuzela event featuring the Black Eyed Peas, then lock the gate from the outside. We could airlift food, they'd be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rockin Blog. Looking forward to the next and the next and the next.... I love how the concert turned out. I am watching the Sounders, just started, All I see is EVERYONE holding their scarfs and singing "Seattle"... "Sounders". Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, may your days ahead be lekkerest of days. You get my point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah we Americans definitely have a warped standard for "poverty". We have so much to be grateful for, and almost none of it is stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds beautiful. I could do with a little love and peace and unity in my corner of the world.

    First time here. I follow you on Twitter but somehow missed that you have a blog? Silly me. Like the writing so adding you to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for updates, it's cool to hear first hand reports. I like the feeling of a big event that brings people with a common interest together. Even people who aren't interested in the event specifically tend to absorb and share the good spirit. It's a shame World Cup isn't as big here in Canada as the rest of the world outside of N. America, because it'd be a bit like having a second Olympic fever all in the same year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cried reffing ten year olds. Imagine what we'll do Sat.? And my daughter is getting married at two o'clock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for doing this blog and keeping the spirit of the world cup going!! A fan in Brevard, NC appreciates You!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep it up Drew. All of us stuck in the states are living vicariously through you brother.

    Really enjoyed the last paragraph.

    Semper Fi Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's OK Drew, come home we'll play polka for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you hear that Mandela's great-granddaughter was killed in a car crash on the way home from the concert? What an awful, awful tragedy on the eve of such a joyous occasion.

    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC_WCUP_MANDELA_RELATIVE_KILLED?SITE=INLAF&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dude... I'm from SA and you wont believe the trouble with the traffic that we've been enduring for the WC... for the last 3 yrs now... I'm really glad that you enjoyed the vibe and that you had a great time at the concert! Oh and get used to the vuvzela's.. you aint seen nothing yet.. Have a great trip... oh yes.. WELCOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to South Africa Drew... Take some ear plugs to the games bro... otherwise your ears are gonna suffer. Imagine sitting in the stands and having someone behind you blowing one in your ear. The noise inside the stadiums is gonna be HUGE. We have stacks of spirit here and we don't mind the traffic jams for the games, just leave earlier then you won't have the stress of getting there on time. On a lighter note, I noticed a guy driving his car to work this morning with a wig on which was in South Africa colours and his face painted with the SA flag... sooooo coool. I hope you enjoy your stay here. Regards Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I knew it was magical but had no idea it had that kind of impact on people. Hope to see more of these blog posts for the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Drew, just wanted to comment on the comment about the poor, and how we need to redefine what poor means here, and I really agree. We do have a lot others don't have in these poorer countries, and we should be more grateful for that and be happy with what we have as opposed to chasing after that that we don't.

    That being said though, I think in general we need to redefine our priorities as a whole. We take certain things, such as yes sports more seriously then we should, while the things that really are important in the end and effect our quality of life here we sort of take for granted, meaning our freedoms as a country, or rather freedoms we used to have I guess.

    I kind of find it sad in that sense.....that the freedoms are constitution gave us and was founded on even, what made this country so great, is slipping away from us and not many seem to notice as we're so wrapped up in entertainment and what not.

    Not that it's bad in itself, and certainly not saying sports is bad per se, but more......we need to put it in perspective. At the end of the day, win or lose it's only a game and life goes on just as it did before it was played.

    Anyway just my two cents, take it all as you will.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you had an awesome time at the concert, Drew! I'm very pleased that you are sharing your experiences with us! Thank you!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm right now at work (in France) and listen to the game at the radio : Vuzuvelas are killing me !! TIA I guess...

    Enjoy the good vibes for us !

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds like a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, but ABUSIVE LANGUAGE IS NOT WELCOME OR TOLERATED HERE so please keep it civil. All comments are moderated, so they won't be posted immediately.